- 1 Questions & Answers
- 3 Installation under local user account
- 4 Route export and mission export
- 5 Route and mission export
- 6 Maximum Flight Altitude is Limited
- 7 Maximum Fence Radius is Limited
- 8 Cannot find UgCS activation code
- 9 Activating trial version
- 10 Granting User Permissions on Windows 10
- 11 Cannot connect UgCS desktop and UgCS for DJI mobile application
- 12 How to change the starting point of a route?
- 13 UgCS detects Naza-M v2 as Wookong-M
- 14 Stop & Turn not working correctly
- 15 How to unlock No-Fly Zones for DJI drones
- 16 Photogrammetry tool for orthophoto maps
- 17 Photogrammetry tool vs. Area Scan
- 18 Overlap in Area Scan
- 19 Changing overlap
- 20 Undo action in UgCS
- 21 How to import DEM (Digital Elevation Models) in UgCS?
- 22 Message "There are too many active elevation sources....
- 23 2000m restriction warning message
- 24 Can I import DXF, KMZ or KML as a route into UgCS?
- 25 Offline maps
- 26 Flying offline
- 27 Network Firewall
- 28 Changing flight direction
- 29 Determination of AMSL flight height
- 30 Pausing the flight
- 31 UgCS Mapper
- 32 Maps and models
- 33 Thermal camera
- 34 Triggering two cameras
- 35 Taking photos more than once per 3 seconds
- 36 Import a building model
- 37 Having only the mobile device or Smart Controller with UgCS for DJI in the field
- 38 The necessity of an Android device
- 39 Importing .DAT file
- 40 UgCS for DJI for Apple iOS
- 41 Android device recommendations for UgCS for DJI
- 42 SD card busy
- 43 Usage of ADS-B receiver
- 44 Supported ADS-B receivers
- 45 Joystick mode
- 46 License upgrades and support
- 47 UgCS for DJI CrystalSky
Questions & Answers
Q: Does UgCS collect any personal data?
No, UgCS software does not gather any user’s information.
Q: Does UgCS refer to any external resources via the internet?
UgCS requires an internet connection only to validate the license with the UgCS license server, to download map tiles (if maps are not cached) and to download DEM from public sources:
Installation under local user account
Q: Can UgCS be used under local user account? “An error occurred during the installation process. Please contact support.” Window occurring when trying to install UgCS .
UgCS installation requires full local PC administrator permissions. If it is necessary to install UgCS for user account with local user permissions:
1) Change user permissions, grant full local administrator rights
2) Install UgCS with administrator permissions
3) Change user permissions, remove local administrator rights
Providing full permissions to the folders and running the installer as a local administrator will not work!
Route export and mission export
Q: What's the difference between route export and mission export?.
Mission export saves vehicle profile and settings, while route export only saves waypoints.
Route and mission export
Q: How do I export route and mission?.
To perform Mission export:
Navigate to Menu on upper right corner in UgCS
Select option Export mission
Select destination and file name, press save.
To perform Route export:
Press gear button on specific route icon
Select Export route
Select destination and file name, press save.
Maximum Flight Altitude is Limited
Q: I have purchased UgCS license but my routes are still limited to 120 m in altitude.
You can change the maximum altitude in the profile of your aircraft. Run UgCS, go to Main Menu - Profile - find your drone in the list - click ‘Edit’ and change "Max. altitude AMSL, m" or "Max. altitude AGL, m" to the desired value. Then click ‘Save’. Also, when creating the route, check that in Route Parameters “Maximum altitude above ground, m” is set to the desired value.
Maximum Fence Radius is Limited
Q: I have purchased UgCS license but cannot create routes further than 500 m from starting point
Cannot find UgCS activation code
Q: I have purchased UgCS license. How do I activate it?
Upon purchasing UgCS license from shop.ugcs.com you will receive an e-mail with your activation code.
To activate UgCS, launch it, then separate window for activation code appears. Copy and paste your activation code and click Activate. One activation code may simultaneously activate on two computers. When uninstalling UgCS the license code will automatically be deactivated. In case you want to manually deactivate the license simply go to the License tab in the main menu and click on Deactivate.
Please note, that Inactivation of the license in software doesn't cancel the Subscription!
In case your computer has had some technical issues and you are not able to deactivate UgCS, contact us via email with your license code or the e-mail you used to purchase it.
Activating trial version
Q: I want to test UgCS software, is there a trial version?
To get UgCS 14-day FREE TRIAL signup for the UgCS Enterprise Subscription - unsubscribe anytime, no cancellation fee!
Granting User Permissions on Windows 10
Q: We can’t get UgCS to run in a Non-admin or Standard User account. Currently, under Windows 10 it asks for admin credentials. Please advise.
There are 2 methods to grant permissions in Windows 10:
First option: to grant permission for the folder containing UgCS
- C: \ Users \ USER_NAME \ AppData \ Local \ UGCS \
- C: \ Program Files (x86) \ UGCS \
do the following steps:
- Right click on UGCS folder.
- Click Properties.
- Select the Security tab
- Click on "Advanced"
- Next to Owner click “Change”
- Type your username, click the "Check Names" button, then click OK.
- Check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" under the owner's name.
- Click OK again. If you get a message saying "Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you full control?", Click "Yes" and you're done.
- Click the "Edit" button.
- Click on your username from the list.
- Check "Full control" underneath it.
- Click OK.
- Click OK again.
Repeat with both folders.
Second option: Run the application as administrator):
- Create a cmd file, which includes the following:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\runas.exe /user:<Domein>\<Administrator_Name> /SAVECRED <Path_to_the_program>
- Save the file.
- Run the file to execute.
- Enter administrators data
- The program runs as administrator.
After you repeat run then password prompt will not appear - it uses the parameter / SAVECRED To learn more about runas.exe: Follow the link
Cannot connect UgCS desktop and UgCS for DJI mobile application
Q: Cannot connect UgCS desktop and Android mobile app.
Firstly, please, make sure you are using the latest version of UgCS for DJI on your mobile device.
- create a Wi-Fi hot spot on your mobile device and connect your laptop to it directly
- disable antivirus and firewall for testing purposes
Also, in UgCS for DJI Android app settings set these options:
- Turn on ‘Enable SSDP’. Menu - Advanced - Enable SSDP check mark.
- Turn off ‘Enable UgCS direct connection’. Menu - Advanced - Enable UgCS direct connection check mark.
- How To - connect UgCS for DJI (Android) with UgCS desktop
- How To - connect UgCS for DJI (iOS) with UgCS desktop
If after those steps the connection is still not possible, please send us the logs from your mobile device and your computer to email@example.com.
Logs of UgCS desktop are located:
C:\Users\ [USER NAME]\AppData\Local\UGCS\logs
Logs of UgCS for DJI (Android device)are located:
- Device storage > Android > data > com.ugcs.android.vsm.dji > files
How to change the starting point of a route?
Q: How do I resume the route from the last point after I returned the drone home for a battery change?
If there is a need to interrupt the flight for battery change or any other reason, proceeded route is being memorized. To resume the flight, choose “Upload” for the route. For partially completed route, a dialogue with four options will be displayed:
• Continue route. This option allows to continue the route exactly where it was dropped.
• Start route from the beginning. The mission will start from first waypoint.
• Start route from waypoint #. This option will send the drone to the specified route waypoint, from which it will proceed with the mission.
• Take-off to route’s first waypoint#. In case the mission area are further than 30 meters from the initial drone location, an additional waypoint is required to overcome 30-meter safety distance. This checkbox will send the drone through this first waypoint onto the mission.
UgCS detects Naza-M v2 as Wookong-M
Q: Naza-M V2 autopilot is being detected as Wookong-M
Note: Starting from UgCS 3.4 Naza-M v2 is not supported. If you require an old version, please contact UgCS support
Due to how the Naza-M V2 autopilot identifies itself, it will oftentimes be recognized in UgCS as Wookong-M. To make it correctly be recognized as Naza-M V2, do the following:
Locate the file "vsm-dji.conf", which by default it will be located:
C:\Program Files (x86)\UgCS\bin\vsm-dji.conf
- Make sure that UgCS application is not running.
- Open the file in a text editor software.
- Find the following lines:
- Name: vehicle.dji.report_naza_as_wookong
- Passible values: yes, no
- Default: yes
vehicle.dji.report_naza_as_wookong = yes
- Change the value of the last line from “yes” to “no”
vehicle.dji.report_naza_as_wookong = no
Stop & Turn not working correctly
Q: I’m using the Stop & Turn turn type but when the drone gets to point A, it stops, and then it starts to fly while turning at the same time to point B. It does not stop and turn.
This is a particular problem related to DJI autopilots. It is caused by a POI (Point of Interest) action. By default circle mission segments have this action. So to solve this problem you might need to use the circle segment (or POI action) in a separate route from the rest for Stop & Turn to work properly.
How to unlock No-Fly Zones for DJI drones
Q: How to unlock No-Fly Zones (NFZ) for DJI drones?
To plan and fly missions in restricted areas the NFZ has to be unlocked in two levels:
- UgCS has in-built No-Fly Zones. NFZ have to be disabled in UgCS.
- DJI autopilots have their own in-built No-Fly Zones. To fly in these zones you will need to remove DJI’s Geospatial Environment Online (GEO) restrictions for your drone.
More detailed information on how to do that is available here
Photogrammetry tool for orthophoto maps
Q: How to use the Photogrammetry tool to create orthophoto maps?
Photogrammetry tool vs. Area Scan
Q: Can you allow AGL altitude to be the main parameter instead of Ground Resolution in the Photogrammetry tool?
It’s not always necessary to use always Photogrammetry tool. We have the Area Scan tool exactly for this purpose. In Area Scan tool you are able to plan your flight using either AMSL or AGL altitude.
Overlap in Area Scan
Q: Is there a forward overlap option available in the Area Scan tool?
For this purpose, please use the Photogrammetry tool. Then you will be able to easily adjust forward and side overlaps.
Q: Mostly orthophotos are created with at least 80% side and 80% front overlap - how this can be changed?
Choose the Photogrammetry tool. In windows for Forward overlap and Side overlap insert your required parameters in %
Undo action in UgCS
Q: Is there an Undo action in UgCS?
Starting fron the,UgCS version 4.7 there is UNDO and REDO buttons.
How to import DEM (Digital Elevation Models) in UgCS?
Q: How to import DEM (Digital Elevation Models) in UgCS?
The process of DEM import into UgCS in details is described in "How to" section >>>
Message "There are too many active elevation sources....
Q: What does this message "There are too many active elevation sources...." mean?
The message "There are too many active elevation sources...." is not an error, it is warning message. Elevation data may contain 3-4 layers. That is why when you are importing your elevation data a new layer will be created.
To get rid of this message please deactivate one of the current elevation sources.
2000m restriction warning message
Q: I can not upload a route because the distance of the first and last waypoint is more than 2000m. How can overecome this problem?
DJI restriction is 2000m between two adjacent waypoints, first and last waypoints are considered as adjacent too for some DJI drones. For Mavic series, the first and last point may be further than 2 kilometers.
If it is necessary to finish the mission within more than 2000m from takeoff position, you have to create route till your desired location, then add additional waypoints back to takeoff location, so the last waypoint is closer than 2000m. At the real landing location you can add wait action, so drone stays in the air. When drone has reached the location, overtake control and land the drone manualy.
Can I import DXF, KMZ or KML as a route into UgCS?
Q: Is there an option to import a boundary or a polygon into UgCS as a route from CAD (dxf) or a polygon from Google Earth (kmz)?
UgCS does not support import routes from CAD (DXF) or a polygon in KMZ, but it does support route import from KML. The detailed import process is described in "How to import KML from Google Earth into UgCS as a route"
Q: Is there a tool in UgCS that shows all areas that you have downloaded as an offline map, similar to custom elevation data?
There is no exact indicator showing where the maps have been pre-cached and where they have not - when switching to offline places with un-cached maps will be blank. For offline work, it is recommended to use your own geotiff or pre-cached map data. Detailed information on how to set maximum cache size is described in the UgCS desktop user manual section 'Custom maps' and 'Offline maps'
There is also an option to use your own map server from which UgCS takes map tiles.
Q: Can I fly offline?
There are several preparation steps to fly in offline mode.
- Download maps on UgCS desktop for offline use, instructions are available on our Wiki page
- For connection between an Android device and UgCS desktop you can use a dedicated WiFi router that does not require an internet connection to create a WiFi network. Any mobile hotspot device should work, also indoor router would be fine if you manage power resources for it.
- As the Android device will not have an internet connection too, to have maps visible on the Android device, you can select map provider Geoserver in UgCS for DJI settings, Map provider, choose Geoserver map.
Q: I'm behind network firewall, how can I start UgCS?
Pass the below info to network administrators
|https://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/search||443||HTTPS, TCP/IP, SSL|
|https://activation.ugcs.com||443||HTTPS, TCP/IP, SSL|
Changing flight direction
Q: Can the direction of the flight be changed within a route?
After creating the route, you can click on ‘Route parameters’ and click on ‘Invert segments order’. This will reverse the order of all mission segments making the first waypoint the last and vice versa.
Determination of AMSL flight height
Q: How does drone determine its current AMSL height?
AMSL is determined according to the terrain data at the current location in combination with data given by the drone’s barometer or GPS unit (depending on the type of drone and configuration). There may be some inconsistencies where the terrain height changes very quickly. Use the Take-off point altitude function in UgCS to set the Take-off height correctly.
Information on how to set height can be found in the UgCS desktop User Manual in section 'Take-off point altitude'
Pausing the flight
Q: Is there a way to pause in flight if another aircraft enters my airspace?
Yes, you can do either of the following actions:
- Press “Hold” button in UgCS to pause the flight and make the drone hold it’s current position
- Press Return Home to make the drone return to the home location
- Press Land to make the drone land at its current position
- Switch the drone into manual mode and steer it away from danger using the RC
Q: What is UgCS Mapper and what is the output?
UgCS Mapper is one of the products besides UgCS developed by SPH Engineering. UgCS Mapper is a lightweight drone image and video processing software to create 2D maps and elevation models not requiring internet connection. For more detailed information visit UgCS Mapper.
Maps and models
Q: Is UgCS only a route planning software, or it can process maps and create 3D models as well?
UgCS is a ground control software for drone mission planning and flight control. Please consider using following solutiond developed by SPH Engineering for data processing and map creation:
- UgCS Mapper is a lightweight drone image and video processing software to create 2D maps and elevation models not requiring internet connection. For more detailed information visit UgCS Mapper
- ATLAS is a unique digital platform enabling aerial imagery storage, maps creation, object detection/counting and making territory segmentation. For more detailed information visit ATLAS
Q: The profile of my camera does not exist in UgCS. How can I add it?
You can create a profile of any custom camera that you have and its capabilities will be taken into account when planning routes in UgCS. More details can be found in our user manual section Payloads.
Triggering two cameras
Q: Can two cameras be triggered in one flight? For example one - visible light camera and the other - IR?
It is possible to add two camera profiles to one drone in UgCS, but cannot trigger them simultaneously. Therefore a hardware setup is needed that can trigger both cameras simultaneously with a single PWM signal.
Taking photos more than once per 3 seconds
Q: Can any drone camera take more than one photo during a 3 second period?
After a photo is taken, the camera records the image on the memory card and during this process, the camera cannot take any pictures. Two or more seconds are needed for example for a Zenmuse-X5S camera in interval mode between photos.
For example, to take max high-quality resolution photo the trigger time should be:
- for JPEG 2 and more seconds,
- for RAW 3 and more seconds.
Please refer to technical parameters of your camera for the minimum supported trigger interval.
Import a building model
Q: How do you import a building model in UgCS?
To display 3D buildings on the map of UgCS and to take them into consideration when calculating a route, import 3D models of buildings.
To import 3D building models, click the Map options (globe icon at the top right-hand corner of the screen), click the Map layers button, select the 3D objects tab.
Add a unique name and upload a 3D model via the “upload” button. Browse for the uploaded models in KMZ format.
It is possible to change the models from enabled to the disabled source list. The «Focus» button will display the region of the map of the imported object.
More information available at 'website'
Having only the mobile device or Smart Controller with UgCS for DJI in the field
Q: Can I use UgCS in the field with just my mobile device and no laptop?
It is possible to use ONLY the Mobile application UgCS for DJI to fly your missions/routes.
Note, that in this case you can't change the mission/route and the telemetry will not be recorded.
The necessity of an Android device
Q: Is an Android device required in addition to the Windows PC/laptop?
The Android device with UgCS for DJI installed is required for some DJI drones, which can't be connected directly to the laptop. More information can be found in the UgCS 'user manuals'.
Importing .DAT file
Q: Is it possible to import the .DAT data from a DJI drone to view it in UgCS Telemetry Player?
No, unfortunately .DAT is a closed format, therefore it cannot be imported. Instead, telemetry data recorded by UgCS can be used.
UgCS for DJI for Apple iOS
Q: Is UgCS for DJI available for Apple iOS devices?
Please be informed, that future development of the iOS version of UgCS for DJI is suspended. We recommend using the Android version of UgCS for DJI to ensure its full functionality of UgCS. UgCS for DJI for iOS is compatible with UgCS v.4.3. For more details, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Android device recommendations for UgCS for DJI
Q: What Android tablet do you recommend for use with UgCS for DJI?
We've had a good experience with Nexus tablets and Samsung Galaxy Tab devices.
Recommended mobile devices for UgCS for DJI:
- Samsung Galaxy S10+
- Samsung Galaxy S10
- Samsung Galaxy S9+
- Samsung Galaxy S9
- Samsung Galaxy S8+
- Samsung Galaxy S8
- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
- Samsung Galaxy S7
- Samsung Galaxy Note8
- Samsung Galaxy Note9
- Google Pixel 2
- Google Pixel 2XL
- Google Pixel 3
- Google Pixel 3XL
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
- NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
- Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019)
- Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2
- Huawei P20
- Huawei P30
- Huawei Mate 20 Pro (HWLYA)
- Huawei P20 Pro
- OnePlus 6
- OnePlus 6T
- Xiaomi Mi9
- Xiaomi Poco F1
Other Android devices should work as well but are not tested. UgCS for DJI requires Android 7+ compatible device. Devices based on the x86 architecture are not supported.
SD card busy
Q: What does the message "SD card busy" mean?
The “SD card busy“ is the message from the DJI SDK. During the photo actions, the camera is working with an SD card. Also, the camera has it's own buffer.
There are two options to solve this issue:
1. Use a higher-speed SD card.
Usage of ADS-B receiver
Q: UgCS has an ADS-B button. Can you monitor other aircraft?
Yes, supposing that you have a UgCS-supported ADS-B receiver, it can be connected to a laptop running UgCS and to receive warnings about approaching aircrafts.
Supported ADS-B receivers
Q: Is the ADS-B receiver from the DJI M210 supported?
No, the receiver needs to be connected to a PC running UgCS. Starting UgCS version 3.0 the supported ADS-B receivers are microADS-B and uAvionix pingRX and pingUSB.
Q: Does UgCS support joystick mode?
Currently joystick mode support in UgCS is available only for Ardupilot (APM/Pixhawk) based drones. Also it is possible to control the camera in Joystick mode from UgCS for Command Centres of these drones:
- DJI Phantom 3 Advanced,
- DJI Phantom 4,
- DJI A3,
- DJI Inspire
- DJI Matrice 200\210.
License upgrades and support
Q: Does the perpetual licenses have upgrades and support included?
UgCS perpetual licenses have upgrades and support included for the first year. Starting from the second year from the activation date, the customer may buy Annual Support for approx.20% of perpetual license price.
Paid Annual Support is not mandatory - UgCS will remain operational and data will be accessible after support expiration.
UgCS for DJI CrystalSky
Q: Can UgCS be installed on the DJI CrystalSky?
There is no official support. But it can work in some cases.
Install UgCS for DJI on CrystalSky
- Connect CrystalSky to PC by USB-microUSB cable.
- Open "i" icon at the upper-left corner of CrystalSky.
- Click "USB connected" at the middle a the left side of the screen.
- Click "Turn On USB storage".
- Open device storage on PC.
- Move dji-mc.apk file to the Table folder which named "Downloads"
- On Tablet click "Turn OFF USB storage"
- Close window about USB connection by clicking "Back" button on the right side of CrystalSky.
- Open application Explorer from the main screen of CrystalSky.
- Check that Internet connection without proxy available.
- Open dji-mc.apk file on Tablet (Download link).
- Click Next/Install button on the installation screen.
- Power On drone and RC.
- After power-on all device new window with UgCS for DJI and DJI GO should be displayed.
- Double-tap on UgCS for DJI icon.
- After successfully check permission application should be started.